Welcome to Our World

Hello Everyone. My name is Stephen Sullivan and I am a computer instructor at the Alabama Institute for Deaf and Blind (AIDB), Regional Center in Mobile, Alabama. I primarily work with students who have what I like to call nonstandard eyesight (traditionally known as low vision or blindness) and I have nonstandard eyesight myself.

I thought blogging would be a good way to get my students more active on the computer and familiar with all the great tools that are free on the web. Blogging is also a great way to communicate and build community. Best of all for people with vision loss it does not require any transportation, except for a computer.

Each week there will be a new topic posted related to technology, education, employment, living with blindness, or some current event of interest to the Out of Sight Community. Come and visit often and be sure and join in on the conversation.

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The IPad: Ready, Willing, and Able

The IPad is Apple's latest contribution as it continues to lead the way to a very different way of how we manipulate information, work and entertain ourselves. Like most things Apple produces the IPad is accessible right out of the box.

Click on the work IPad in the paragraph above to go check it out! Click Here and read about the accessibility features of the IPad.

Click the comment link below and comment on your first impressions of the IPad. Tell me specifically what you think this means for the Blind. Do you think this will effect other products for the blind.

2 comments:

  1. the size and the ability to interface it anywhere you need of want to is amazing. Especially important is the apps are adaptable to programs for the visually impaired. It's ability to be both mobile and viewable in a way to more easily complete tasks and keep pace with oters in doing work and play is great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a great ideal.I just wonder why I did not think of it first. It should make a big difference in helping those that are blind or can't see as well as others. It seem as the world is moving on in advancement so there is no reason why we should not be moving on with it.It is like God has bless us with a new set of eyes. I think it will make it more possible for blind people to function even work.Those that are visually impaired to feel more normal than ever before.We want to make a difference also. With technology like this we can do things that will help us to make a difference. Thank God for technology and all its improvements.

    ReplyDelete